Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to Golden Sunrise. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Golden Sunrise is a Golden Sun fan forum. Along with Golden Sun discussion, Golden Sunrise members enjoy particularly debate, forum games, role-playing, and various forms of creativity from writing to visual art to music.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can post in the City Gates section. If you join our community, you'll be able to makes posts in the other sections and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Retire badges
Yes (It's too much, at least hide some of them!) 5 (50%)
No (I like them all!) 5 (50%)
Total Votes: 10
Retiring badges - Poll
Topic Started: May 12 2018, 06:51 PM (177 Views)
Neshi
Member Avatar
☀ Lana the adventurer☀

There were voices about hiding or reducing badges everyone has below their avatar.
So we want to hear more voices! ^.^

Link to discussion -> http://www.goldensunrise.online/topic/11072887/1/
My Sunrise Awards <3

Posted Image
Click for more info about Golden Sun Legends! Also click to see The Chronicles of Golden Sunrise!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sagie
Member Avatar
crotchety

So this was my suggestion, but with just a link to the post I don't feel this poll remotely reflects what I suggested.

My suggestion was to turn older badges that are no longer earnable (games that no longer exist, dead RPs, etc) into "legacy" badges and have them displayed on profiles only. That would reduce the clutter. Active badges could stay where they are.

Saucy Goblin
Member Avatar
Sunrise's Token Hobgoblin Character

You'll never take my badges alive!
To be a shining hobgoblin, as in my dreams!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Catman
Member Avatar
Loneliest Stardust Crusader

The badges may be meaningless or a nuisance to some, but to me they are the reminders of what is real. All the time spent here doing all manner of things, good and bad.
WHY ARE WE STILL HERE...Posted Image...JUST TO SUFFER?!

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

Yeah I would rather move one time no longer available event badges profile side somehow, and have constant stuff like number of submissions and the role banners stay visible. Maybe remove the fundament section unless anyone follows that interpretation anymore.
Signature

Misery
Member Avatar

I like the concept of "Legacy" badges (stuff that is no longer earnable) mentioned in the other discussion, and if it's not too much work I think making a user setting for hiding these would be the best solution. As for the class/aspect/fundament thing that was also mentioned, that seems like the kind of thing people can put in their signatures.

Personally though (and I'm not sure how much this means considering I don't really use the forum), I wouldn't use it if it was a setting, and I don't really mind any of the other stuff either. The only thing that bothers me is that posts take up a large amount of vertical space even when they don't have much content (single line posts). Perhaps it serves to discourage shorter posts to an extent, but I doubt that's the intent.

Delfes
Member Avatar
Regular Adept #18

Agreed for Legacy badges. Don't destroy them, but hiding the ones that are completely irrelevant should be a thing as far as I'm concerned. Host/player badges of games that haven't been hosted or played in years kinda feel like pointless clutter. Don't destroy them, mind you, they still existed, but it feels more misleading than anything to have host badges on games that aren't being hosted when all the badge says is "[insert game here] host" as if they're hosting right now, rather than hosted it before. If it had a legacy thing, then it wouldn't have any of the misleading part of it, since legacy would default as "it happened, but not anymore".
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rule of existence: Whenever luck is involved, somehow, somewhere, someone will get trolled by it.

Saucy Goblin
Member Avatar
Sunrise's Token Hobgoblin Character

Delfes
May 13 2018, 08:40 PM
Agreed for Legacy badges. Don't destroy them, but hiding the ones that are completely irrelevant should be a thing as far as I'm concerned. Host/player badges of games that haven't been hosted or played in years kinda feel like pointless clutter. Don't destroy them, mind you, they still existed, but it feels more misleading than anything to have host badges on games that aren't being hosted when all the badge says is "[insert game here] host" as if they're hosting right now, rather than hosted it before. If it had a legacy thing, then it wouldn't have any of the misleading part of it, since legacy would default as "it happened, but not anymore".
Or maybe just reword the badges to fit the more modern badges of the same design. there are plenty of badges that say "hosted a game of...". Further still, hiding 'legacy' badges is implying that everyone who has been around long enough to have played one of those games wants them hidden. I disagree strongly with the idea of invalidating someones work because some people don't like 'clutter'.
To be a shining hobgoblin, as in my dreams!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Robert Joe
Member Avatar
Party Tank

I am pretty indifferent on badges myself. I just see them as clutter on the side of the screen, but then again I also do not care at all about clutter on the side of the screen.

However, while we had a few people who were advocating for them to be changed drastically, I am quite surprised that there are a few other here who like them to this degree. I am only personally leaning towards making minor changes at most as a result.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Delfes
Member Avatar
Regular Adept #18

I fail to see how any of it invalidates someone's work? The whole point isn't to delete badges at all, but to reduce the amount of useless badges appearing in every single post. They're still going to exist, and I feel like considering badges being somewhat less in plain sight as "invalidating work" might be a bit overkill, don't you think? Especially when all of it remains, just somewhat less obvious to find. If that's your issue, I'd like to make a counter proposal of adding a literal "Legacy badge" that would be visible next to post and would mean "this member has older badges for things they did on their profile". That way you'd get an extra unique badge to add to your collection, all the older ones would remain on the profile as achievements with visibility on every post through the Legacy badge's existence, and the clutter would be reduced. Everybody wins. You get even more "validation of your work" (whatever that means when talking about just showing off a bunch of no longer applicable badges) through getting an extra badge, and everyone who dislike the clutter get less clutter.

Honestly, I'd be one to argue for combining the multiple year coded event badges into a single one so that instead of having multiple identical badges with a small number denoting year in the corner, there would only be one and the number would be the number of different participations(Halloween 3 would mean participating in the halloween events 3 times), but that you could argue would take off some of the info by taking away the year, I guess.

I guess it just boils down to how people see badges/achievements in general. To me, they're a proof of doing something, not a symbol of rank to flaunt over others, so having them is the important part, not showing them off everywhere. It might be a difference in ideology, I guess.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rule of existence: Whenever luck is involved, somehow, somewhere, someone will get trolled by it.

Catman
Member Avatar
Loneliest Stardust Crusader

Every badge is sacred, moving some of them to profiles only would ruin it!
Edited by Catman, May 14 2018, 07:53 AM.
WHY ARE WE STILL HERE...Posted Image...JUST TO SUFFER?!

Neshi
Member Avatar
☀ Lana the adventurer☀

I also like all badges the way they are! ^.^ Every of them tells a different story, they're like memories <3
My Sunrise Awards <3

Posted Image
Click for more info about Golden Sun Legends! Also click to see The Chronicles of Golden Sunrise!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Help Desk and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member of the Golden Sun United Nations, helping fansites help each other since 2016
CLAN POINTS
Venus
33 Points
Mars
14 Points
Jupiter
12 Points
Mercury
0 Points
Last season winner is Venus

Affiliates

Golden Sunrise GSAR ToK Golden Sun Universe GSHC GSL Aeiou TLW GSUN