Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to Golden Sunrise. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Golden Sunrise is a Golden Sun fan forum. Along with Golden Sun discussion, Golden Sunrise members enjoy particularly debate, forum games, role-playing, and various forms of creativity from writing to visual art to music.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can post in the City Gates section. If you join our community, you'll be able to makes posts in the other sections and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What new activities would you like to see on our forum?
Topic Started: Apr 6 2018, 03:31 PM (206 Views)
Neshi
Member Avatar
☀ Lana the adventurer☀

[Psst..psst..! Thanks to Mr. Spinel's translator of some weird noises Punch Ants make, we found out that Punch Ants don't like crowded places! So we must bring the activity back here again! So, will you help us?? ]

:!: What new activities would you like to do on our forum?
:?: More creative things like drawing, composing, cooking, crafting? Or more games, role playing, world building? Or maybe something totally new..?
:?: What topics or matters would you prefer to discuss here rather than on Discord?
:?: Would you want Clan Competitions to be hosted on Sunrise again? If so, please tell us what kind of activities you'd like to participate! More teamwork or individual tasks?

[To make it effective against Ants, the comments in this thread must reach the 2nd page!]

Posted Image :><: Posted Image :><:

My Sunrise Awards <3

Posted Image
Click for more info about Golden Sun Legends! Also click to see The Chronicles of Golden Sunrise!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

Clearly, the solution is to multiply our processing-

I could see bringing back the games/roleplay/worldbuilding aspect a bit more. The drawing/composing/cooking/crafting cluster is something I would leave up to the individual members with those skills to want to do, since that generally takes a lot more in terms of actual resource and time expenditure at least from what I can tell.

I guess anything meant to last more than a few minutes to hours of immediate rapidfire discussion should go forumside: if it dies, is a question meant for everyone to see even later on, or if it takes a break longer than a few hours, it should go forumside. Discord is for immediate contact and the logs get washed away by new content drowning them.

I honestly feel the clan competitions have been a mix of too forced and not forced enough. There's a lot of emphasis on getting them to exist in the first place when we simply don't have the time or people for group projects anymore, and when things finally DO happen the types of motivation and constraint given were all wrong last time and it soured a lot of people. Also, shit kept getting shoved in backrooms and we did not even see much 'I am busy because X' or 'We honestly can't make deadline Y, just waive us' discussion.

I want to see more individual tasks. The previous system was good but it was practically the equivalent of an art sports team, which while an excellent idea I would love to see this community isn't big or freetimey enough to sustain that. Take the concept to an arts college and propose it as a sport lol. There are a lot of tasks which emphasize a lot of people being able and willing to contribute, which facing facts there simply aren't the people for that in either time or space. If we're going to do it again, we're going to need a lot more leniency for the finite pool we have to see how much of their limited free time they can dedicate to this.

I'm drowning in homework from 2 of 4 college courses and like three time intensive third party projects (one of which is a clusterfuck of information I do not understand and I am desperately trying to get the involved parties to explain their parameters because my grandparents basically talked me in despite having no background in education and no time), and I feel like I'm among the top half or so of active people with time available here, which says something about how absolutely time-occupied everyone probably is at this point.

I really want to bring back the worldbuilding aspect because facing facts Golden Sun is not coming back easily. It might be better to reanimate the fandom as a slightly original wider world and introduce people to that, because the games are harder and harder to access legitimately. It's been years, petitions, struggle, and pain. We have essentially failed. It may or may not come back later, but it's not in the cards right now so we'll have to wait for a new deck before we even think about success in that department, and that means we need something in the meantime that isn't dependent on new games: we hit the SCC point where we discussed to death everything in game and then some ages ago, and we don't have the original content and productive new member barrage willing to keep the place revived in the face of interpersonal struggle and no new canons.

But here comes a thought. I was able to revive part of Replay Value AU/the inert forum branch of the Sburb Glitch FAQ roleplay, and introduce people in the wider Homestuck fandom to that, and honestly with a little adjustment it could be used to introduce people to the series straight up because it's a solid work in and of itself and filled in an area the canon left lacking even if in the end future content invalidated chunks of it.

Golden Sun could really use an anchor fic like that, because there really isn't much point of entry into the fandom otherwise. The games and the machines they're on are relatively old by now in internet terms. A rediscovery isn't exactly likely here, so we need something to bring people in with. There's like, what, one or two alternate points in terms of that guy who's making a Felix diary and that group making the Golden Sun anime? We've got to get something willing to pull in people because there's only so many fans of the original left to recruit.

Even if a new Golden Sun game eventually comes, titans disband is it going to take a while before we get there, and more importantly it could easily be another Dark Dawn in terms of 'Wow, I...would have preferred something slightly more filling here' and it might be fixworthy or give a good AU set point in terms of 'what if X was Y instead?'. We can grow freely to keep the place lively in the meantime. It's been 7 years since Dark Dawn, and the gap between TLA and DD was between 2002 and 2010. We're hitting the point where it's likely not getting a fourth if we don't see an announcement in a few years, and the people who know what Dark Dawn is/was got it years ago. Clearly, the Golden Sun series has slowed its update rate such that new games come out once a decade.
Edited by Nedben, Apr 6 2018, 04:45 PM.
Signature
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NOX
Member Avatar

I agree at 80%, at least, with Nedben.

We may have more activity by branching out a little.
Exploring GS through other things/fandom should give us a fresher look at it.

Original content seems like the good way to bring life to the fandom.
Activities related to golden sun spirit may take a lot of forms.

We had a couple of RP that were enjoyable lately,
some interesting discussions on several subjects,
as well as more or less cryptic creative content.

I think we may consider opening up more subject on fandom/content that we like.
(After all, if it speaks to a GS fan, why wouldn't it do for others ?)
If there is few interest, at least it is informative.

I don't really know how to express it, but I feel like there is some "restreint" here.
Members check the forums, according to a recent post.
So, maybe sharing things that are "maybe interesting" is the spark we need ?

WitchRolina
Member Avatar
Missing the Unified Aesthetic

Honestly? I think clans have been bad for the fandom as a whole, and I'd like to see them removed from play. Instead, people would just state what element adept they want to be and that's how they'd get their color. This should help cut down on some of the more overly competitive parts that the clan competitions caused issues with, as well as problems like like Mercury-Has-No-Members. Instead, competitions should be more generalized - everyone can participate, and it's people who don't submit an entry who get to vote. This should solve the lack of voter issue as well, since I know several people who'd have taken that option if they were allowed in the past.

I agree on the worldbuilding. That brought people together like I never would have thought. I mean, did you see the stuff Mars Clan put out? That stuff was great. I figure if we shift back into creating a great world, encourage creative works to take place in this world, and maybe even start rewarding the creation of OCs and stuff a little more, that we'll get a better stream of content here, maybe one that if built up enough can become semi-self sustaining.

Skins. Spite is not a good reason not to use what you've been given. It's been long enough, let people have a greater ability to customize their experience. I should not be treated like a criminal for having this stance.

While we're at it, let people opt out of events. There is no reason to be forced to look at this ugly ass Golden Ant "theme". Anyone who doesn't want to partake should not have it shoved down their throats.

Finally, the forums should be helmed by content creators, not people who sit on a throne and do nothing. I want to see administration that comes up with fun and creative events throughout the year. I want to see a MOTIVATED administration who puts up a variety of casual and fun competitions to encourage people to get excited for what's here. Power should be held by those who want it for the sake of power, spite, or some strange desire for stagnation, but by those who seek to use it to further the livelihood of the forums. People who won't treat it like some two-bit side hobby, and actually care. People who are willing to step down when they feel that zeal fading, and pass the torch to those who will keep it alive.

And no. That's not me. Not anymore.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

Who's treating you as a criminal over that stance? Please be as direct and open as possible and provide screenshots or audio recordings where possessed. I am tired of this stuff getting swept under the rug and refuse to allow passive sniping in a situation where directness is obligate and shutting down ad hominem will occur where it needs to. If it's 'spite', please verify who and what is spiting who and what, because being indirect in the blame game is unproductive even for how unproductive the blame game usually ends up being. Seriously.

More to the point I could see a dedicated Event Theme that allows people to specifically opt in to holiday re-themeing so as to protect the integrity of Golden Sunrise Standard or whatever the default theme is called: I think something about setting your theme is that once it's set it won't change if the theme roster is changed and that's why it was removed for the event, but I do realize that's a feature now rather than a bug.

I'm not sure what exactly the administration job entails anymore: I've heard lots and lots of work being put into it but beyond the work intensive task of reading absolutely everything posted even my shitposts for quality assurance purposes I'm not sure what takes up so much time as explicitly part of the adminning outside event planning stuff: I understand that the entire team has overwhelmingly busy lives, but that's all the more reason to be candid about when life is attacking and when they're actually busy crafting something intense.

This is not about zeal: this is about people being physically unable to put in the time and effort due to complicated outside factors. Mr. Spinel is quite literally dying of exhaustion, RJ is dealing with a medically intensive family member, Shadowfyst is stuck in jobhunting, I'm not sure what else is going on but I have learned about this mostly off Sunrise rather than on it.

A little directness about personal issues might help.
Signature

Shadowfyst997
Member Avatar
The Dark Wolf General

Alright Rolina, so I guess I'd better respond to this. I will address things point by point. Not that it will help, you'll just ignore everything we say so that you can stay locked into your narrative of how much of a victim you are and how evil we are.

Firstly, if you will recall, we DID make Clans take a huge backseat. We completely separated clans from the competitions. We made it so that EVERYONE could take part in the comps, regardless of what clan they were in, or if they were in no clan at all. We made it so that you could work as a team if you wanted, or fly solo. We did our very best to make sure they the competitions were ALL inclusive, however you wanted to take part. If i recall correctly Rolina, you complained the entire time our comps were going on because they were not YOUR system, like you do with literally everything we try to do.

Secondly, we DID put the emphasis on worldbuilding. We tried to make that the big focus of the competitions, and geared every single one around them. We even tried to let the community choose a name for the world we were building. However, during this era, activity was REALLY low. Do you know why this is, Rolina? It's because you created such a toxic environment that the majority of people wanted nothing to do with the forum. During the comps we tried to run, we had 3-4 people actually taking part, and really, that was pretty much all of the active people. Those who hadn't been run away by your actions and attitude were so heavily fatigued, they just didn't care. So even with the worldbuilding focus, the damage was already done. This is damage that we have still not been able to recover from. You say "Oh it's been ages you can't use that excuse." Yes, Rolina it HAS been ages. And look at how the damage still lingers.

Thirdly, I cannot stress this one enough. Spite has never been a motivating factor in ANY decision we have made regarding the forum. Not once. Everything we have done, we have done because we believed the forum and it's people could benefit from it. As for skins, come on really? We have already established that if you want a skin added, submit a request and we will take a look at it. This is a system in place on all GS forums as far as a i know, not just ours. You want to be able to just make a skin and add it without approval? Please, show me a forum, ANY forum that does that. I'll wait. Additionally, we do not treat you like a criminal. If you were a criminal, you would have been banned. Plain and simple. Instead, we allow you to linger, to continue spreading your toxicity freely, in the hopes that maybe you'll grow up, and stop acting like a petulant child. But unfortunately for everyone involved, you will not, and so we have to suffer your constant negativity.

Fourthly, The only reason you are objecting to the event lasting as long as it is is because...you don't like the skin? Well jeez, i'm really sorry we are interrupting all of the positive activities your engaging with on the forum. We did only intend for this event to last a week, but it has taken a bit longer. I apologize that you'll have to have this ugly theme crammed down your throat for a bit longer. But this whole issue really relates to the next point, so i'll continue it there.

Finally, wow. Just wow. After we took over, we had events running all year. We had competitions, we had games, we had bad art, we had a fair amount of stuff running. After a while, when it became clear that people were way too fatigued by your regime, we let some of those fall to the wayside. That said, we still run games. We still run events EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE CURRENTLY RUNNING. You want activities? Then why do you bitch and moan when we DO run activities? That's very counter productive thinking Rolina, but really, it fits in line with your entire personality. We stopped running the clan season and comps because there was no real interest. Why was there no real interest? Because of Rolina-Fatigue. Everyone currently on the admin team is here because we care about this forum, and want to see it thrive. We are just as saddened by the stagnation as anyone else. But see, the problem is, just as things are starting to get going, just as interest is starting to pick up, YOU show your face and cause a bunch of drama, and this makes everyone duck their head in the sand once more. As for your "not me, not anymore" I would sooner light this forum on fire then see your corruption have power once again.

We have given you FAR too many chances, and we are sick of having you show up and cause more drama. We are sick of so much energy having to go into corralling you and minimizing damage. So here is an ultimatum, Rolina. Drop your foul attitude. Drop your venom. Stop seeing everything we do as a personal attack on you. Or leave. Forever. As in don't show your bitter, toxic face here EVER again. There is no third option. Because if you continue to stay, then you had best stop trying to cause drama and strife. And if you cannot do that, then you will be banned. Permanently.
Posted Image Posted Image <-- Courtesy of Safe Haven and Saucy Goblin respectively! :3 <3

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Shadowfyst997
Member Avatar
The Dark Wolf General

Now to respond to Nedben. The sad thing is that all of it HAS been made public. The whole story has been explained, and nothing is really missing. If it seems like there HAS to be something missing to explain why this negativity is still going on then guess what? You are in the same boat we are. We really just want the negativity to stop, and for this victim complex she has go away. You have seen us try numerous times in public(usually discord) for it to break down. You've seen us try to make peace and mend the situation to encourage her to stay and be positive. Yet she hasn't.

Seeing the backlash against the theme, I think we can all agree that next time we do an event that has some sort of theme attached to it, we will structure things in a way that doesn't make it mandatory, or at least is unobtrusive.

As for adminning itself... I will be the first to admit that we have not done as much as we could be doing. However to my issue is when an accusation is made that NOTHING is being done. As stated in my previous post, for about a year we ran numerous things, and we were certainly more hardworking then. However due to lack of interest, R-Fatigue, and real life kicking us in the ass, we have let some of the things (namely Bad Art, Competitions, and Clan Season) fall to the wayside. However, even with those things, we have still made sure to run regular events. We have still tried to engage the community, and work changes as best we can.

As you said, real life is kicking our asses, and this is partly the reason why there has not been as much activity from us as there was, say, 6-8 months ago. I know i personally had planned to increase my own activity in a few weeks, once this semester is fully done with and I only have to divide my attention between this and work (assuming I find work by then >.>)However, you bring up the good point that we as Staff need to be a bit more open about this. It is standard practice in larger forums for Staff who are going to be less available for a chunk of time to mention this to the community. I can promise that we will attempt to be more forthright about this in the future.
Posted Image Posted Image <-- Courtesy of Safe Haven and Saucy Goblin respectively! :3 <3

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

WitchRolina
Member Avatar
Missing the Unified Aesthetic

Am I the only one amused by the fact that my suggestions were treated as an assault? I mean, you realize that by bending over backwards to "counter" my honest suggestions, all you did was kinda prove me right on the whole spite thing, right? You didn't even consider any of them honestly, you treated it all as an attack. This is why I keep saying you guys are doing things out of spite against me.

Undoing the art assets I created, undoing the policies set up, reversing the expansions to the awards, and again, systematically undoing all the attempts I made to push the forum forward to remake it to what it was before. And when I actually made a skin, you refused to use it for whatever reasons you could fish up.

But whatever. I'm done. Doesn't matter what I do, I get attacked and treated as a villain. Despite what you may believe, I'm not out to destroy everything you love - I genuinely wanted the best for this place. No more. To hell with all this.

If you aren't in the Jupiter Clan, you don't exist to me anymore. I'll hang out there, but don't expect me here anymore. I'm sick of this bullshit.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

Please leave, I really doubt this conversation will be productive.

Neither side is willing to change, and if you think we're spiting you, then that's what you think and we have failed to persuade you otherwise. I'm sorry, but that level of misinterpretation has reached the point it is simply easier to fall into it. Yes, it's not amusing. Yes, it is read as an assault. Last point is contestable. He's focusing on countering your points because you've burned bridges: that level of reaction is about as much as can be hoped for at this point, but the point stands, that countering is discussing. He mentioned having future themes be optional or unobtrusive, fine, whatever, but that was a mention and a counteraction.

Returning to topic: If we're going to restart the worldbuild, we're gonna need to decide baselines and first principles and maybe even overarching physics, even if it means going full TESlore with the alternative possibilities with different underlying physics. You could probably either necromancy some topics I threw up a while ago or create new and much clearer ones, whatever.

For the sake of discussibility: what would make good event activities? Scavenger hunts are nice and all, but...hm...

Hah, maybe an event where we create a new set of replacement artifacts somehow, either directly or by assembling stuff?
Edited by Nedben, Yesterday, 2:11 AM.
Signature

Catman
Member Avatar
Loneliest Stardust Crusader
The forum sucks because it isn't four years ago when people existed and things were fun. I don't even know why I still look at this place. There's no attachment to feel anymore. And it's not because of drama between past staff. The site started to suck before any of that, and I couldn't care less about what Shadow and Rolina moan at each other about. There's no point to either of them doing that. I will admit I am tempted to go into the admin CP and reactivate the other themes just to spare us from this overdrawn shitpost event, but what would be the point? I'm never really here. I get the push for more activity, as is always the case on this forsaken forum, but I really feel that this topic was a poor one. It's hard to find intentional misspellings and generally jokeless content actually fun, or worth posting for. It fails even as an incentive to post to get rid of it all. This event is the kind of thing Aeiou would do (I wonder why...) but this is a homely place, not a silly place where the admin lets /someone/ make it so the website very, very slowly rotates 360 degrees. The theme is way too disruptive and I believe it could have been designed better so that it would not be horrid to use the site with but without removing the 'joke' it carries. It probably would have been funnier to just have some kind of in-screen pop-up that pretends to be an encounter with a Punch Ant and you click it to kill it instantly and carry on as usual. (It would be a very low rate of happening to prevent it from being really annoying)

I think there needs to be more productivity, not necessarily new things, nor changes to current things. There just has to be people doing things or else nobody at all will care. Even if it just means adding that bloody theme already that was absolutely fine, and making the other element equivalents to it. Even if it means continuing to run what was the alliance competitions and what not. I don't think I can really care unless something happens. I know I may not be a formal staff member anymore but you staff duders know the arrangement that was made. If you want to bring me back in to work on something then you can always ask.
WHY ARE WE STILL HERE...Posted Image...JUST TO SUFFER?!

NOX
Member Avatar

OK, I'm late to it.
But, as Nedben did with his usual tact,
I'm going to reply to Witchrolina's post.
(Really, from his posts, we should have Nedben be an analyst or a priest or a pastor...
or anything like that... *random RP thing*)

But, back to the witch's post :
I agree with the opt out suggestion, for the forum theme.
I'm not sure if we had a theme selector before the ants.
(I think we had, but I never used it, I guess)
but, it should be fine to let people go back to their favourite theme.

You could have a "backup default" theme that would be a copy of the standard theme.
Maybe, reset people's theme to default, for them to notice the temporary theme once.
But, then, let people escape from a theme they are not comfortable in.

For instance, this theme is awful if you don't have a bright screen.
(dark brown and black have not enough contrast then.)
yes... My PC screen is old and can't run too bright, sometimes.
("Yeah, screeny, you're a good buddy! You can be light, today.")
With a high brightness, it's quite fine.
But, if you like or have to browse with a not that light screen...
Well, here, you're going to do ctrl+A quite often.

When there is an event theme you're never quite sure it's gonna be fine for everyone.
the trouble can range from hardware incompatibility
(including eyes that don't work as expected for a standard human build)
to software incompatibility
(including hating Valeshipping with a burning passion)
So, let's have an opt out option, for these eventualities.

However, the mods have been running quite some things.
Maybe it's not enough or interesting for some people tastes,
but they made their best and started quite the number of animations.

Some instances :
>Shadow launched a carefully crafted "Choose your own story RP".
(Tabula is, as of now, torn between trying to do things or give into despair,
but, hey, he went quite the long way.)

>Shadow and Mr Spinel started some RP battling and character creation thing.
>Neshi opened a number of debate threads.
(That I couldn't help but tank with wall-of-texty argumentative posts.)

Yes, by the way, my debates posts are the reason why I tried to start a creative thread,
where people would do long debates, on their own, about conceptual concepts.
Our resident analyst was kind enough to try experimenting in it.
Though, I guess it's hard to not clash when it's too conceptual.

People try their best. I need to try my best also.
(I still have a few creative things I could share here.)
We need to try our best.
*Insert a try you best reaction image/GIF here*
I always feel like Witchrolina pass by to do exactly this :
Cast us into trying our best and do more and better things.

But, sometimes, as children, we don't like being scolded.
And, sometimes, we feel like we don't need advice.
But, we need every piece of help, if we want to clear this ant nest.

Post Scriptum :
In the end, it's fun to write posts full of implicit things.
I guess we should try something like that, for a thread ?

Robert Joe
Member Avatar
Party Tank

Nedben

I could see bringing back the games/roleplay/worldbuilding aspect a bit more. The drawing/composing/cooking/crafting cluster is something I would leave up to the individual members with those skills to want to do, since that generally takes a lot more in terms of actual resource and time expenditure at least from what I can tell.

Rolina

I agree on the worldbuilding. That brought people together like I never would have thought. I mean, did you see the stuff Mars Clan put out? That stuff was great. I figure if we shift back into creating a great world, encourage creative works to take place in this world, and maybe even start rewarding the creation of OCs and stuff a little more, that we'll get a better stream of content here, maybe one that if built up enough can become semi-self sustaining.

My only concern with Worldbuilding is that it needs a small group of active and interested members to actually start it. Mars Clan has lost interest, and I do not know if there are enough other people out there to get the ball rolling. I have a bad feeling that trying to get the Worldbuilding up and running will be like trying to start a stationary ramjet, but I suppose that there is no harm in trying.

The best way to go about trying, though, I do not know. That decision is best left up to someone else. Considering my track record of giant death robot Mias in space, I might not be the best choice for directions when it comes to writing stuff.

Nedben

I honestly feel the clan competitions have been a mix of too forced and not forced enough. There's a lot of emphasis on getting them to exist in the first place when we simply don't have the time or people for group projects anymore, and when things finally DO happen the types of motivation and constraint given were all wrong last time and it soured a lot of people. Also, shit kept getting shoved in backrooms and we did not even see much 'I am busy because X' or 'We honestly can't make deadline Y, just waive us' discussion.

I fully agree here. A lot of the events seem to try to create activity for activity's sake, and that is not sustainable. People tend to also gravitate towards the Discord, and while I do not want to alienate people who do not use it/dislike it, I am considering advocating for future events to incorporate it in some minor way.

Nox

I don't really know how to express it, but I feel like there is some "restreint" here.
Members check the forums, according to a recent post.
So, maybe sharing things that are "maybe interesting" is the spark we need ?

I fully agree with you. Truth be told, I too feel kind of "Restrained" when it comes to the forums. There are not many active topics, and with few of them I really feel as if I have anything to add to the conversation. Thus, I stay mostly quiet. This problem is kind of persistent on the Discord as well, but to a somewhat lesser extent. That probably boils down to the faster pace of IRC-based communication if nothing else, though.

The thing is, I really have no idea what we could do for fresh, original content like you mention. Perhaps Worldbuilding, but that kind of needs activity and interest to start in the first place. There is probably some solution, but I do not personally really have any ideas for it.

Rolina

Honestly? I think clans have been bad for the fandom as a whole, and I'd like to see them removed from play. Instead, people would just state what element adept they want to be and that's how they'd get their color. This should help cut down on some of the more overly competitive parts that the clan competitions caused issues with, as well as problems like like Mercury-Has-No-Members. Instead, competitions should be more generalized - everyone can participate, and it's people who don't submit an entry who get to vote. This should solve the lack of voter issue as well, since I know several people who'd have taken that option if they were allowed in the past.

I sort of see where you are coming from here. I have always said that I have seen Clan systems as cancerous because of the drama involved with them, combined with the sheer issue of the mathematics. You are splitting an already small community into four separate sub-factions. There simply are not enough members to sustain it. Because of this, combined with any kind of voting/scoring system, it always ends up being a competition between two clans at most. With half of them just being a joke due to the lack of activity.

Though, that being said, I have no alternate ideas myself. And I do understand that some people used to enjoy the competitive stuff, so it is not like they can just be canned without a proper replacement that said people would enjoy.

I also see some merit to the idea of someone just picking an element. But, if that was implemented, it would just need to stay that simple. Just the element, a single choice of one out of four colors. None of these classes or whatever, the stat system-based sign-up thing that we tried was far too complicated, and kind of screwed over people like me who strongly dislike and do not want author avatars/OCs. The shorter the barrier for entry, the better.

Rolina

Skins. Spite is not a good reason not to use what you've been given. It's been long enough, let people have a greater ability to customize their experience. I should not be treated like a criminal for having this stance.

We will see about this... (spoilers.midi)

Rolina

While we're at it, let people opt out of events. There is no reason to be forced to look at this ugly ass Golden Ant "theme". Anyone who doesn't want to partake should not have it shoved down their throats.

Catman

The theme is way too disruptive and I believe it could have been designed better so that it would not be horrid to use the site with but without removing the 'joke' it carries. It probably would have been funnier to just have some kind of in-screen pop-up that pretends to be an encounter with a Punch Ant and you click it to kill it instantly and carry on as usual. (It would be a very low rate of happening to prevent it from being really annoying)

This event has gone on quite a bit longer than we anticipated (Did you see what I did there?), due to a lack of activity. So, the theme should have been down over a week ago. Now, I personally never understood why people obsess over the themes so much. But with that being said, I suppose that if people do not want theme selections removed for events, then they should not be removed during events.

And damn it, I wish that we thought of that thing with the pop-ups.

Rolina

Finally, the forums should be helmed by content creators, not people who sit on a throne and do nothing. I want to see administration that comes up with fun and creative events throughout the year. I want to see a MOTIVATED administration who puts up a variety of casual and fun competitions to encourage people to get excited for what's here. Power should be held by those who want it for the sake of power, spite, or some strange desire for stagnation, but by those who seek to use it to further the livelihood of the forums. People who won't treat it like some two-bit side hobby, and actually care. People who are willing to step down when they feel that zeal fading, and pass the torch to those who will keep it alive.

And no. That's not me. Not anymore.

It is difficult to stay motivated when 75% of the community has jumped ship over the drama. Now, I will openly admit that we (Myself especially) went through a few months where jack shit got done. And that was indeed a part of the problem. But, another big part of said problem is that the board was effectively an internet dictatorship before that. I am not going to go into detail to try to shame you, but you know that you did a lot of immoral stuff back then, and that scared a ton of people off. I am partially to blame too. I should have should have stood up to it, but instead I cowardly did nothing other than damage control.

I am not going to be as harsh as Shadow is. Though his dismay is completely justified, I personally do not think that being toxic and aggressive is an actionable offense, I am staying consistent here in that respect. I do think that you have done many things in the past that were actionable, but I dropped the ball back then and that ship has already sailed. The rules of the site have been consistently broken, and that list that is up is effectively a joke now. And either way, suddenly retroactively enforcing punishment for past actions now would be effectively the same as punishing you for toxicity.

But, all I am going to want to try to ask you to attempt to think about everything that happened here. I have heard that you have been attempting to rebuild bridges with other boards like GSAR as well, and I think that that is a good idea. I know that you have some issues dealing with social interactions like this, but I think that even you know that a lot of the shit that you did was wrong. Animosity like what is in this thread does not come out of nowhere. Despite what you might have perceived, there was once a time when people were not afraid of angering you at the drop of a pin, and appreciated your work for what it was. That does not change without provocation.

Nedben

Returning to topic: If we're going to restart the worldbuild, we're gonna need to decide baselines and first principles and maybe even overarching physics, even if it means going full TESlore with the alternative possibilities with different underlying physics. You could probably either necromancy some topics I threw up a while ago or create new and much clearer ones, whatever.

For the sake of discussibility: what would make good event activities? Scavenger hunts are nice and all, but...hm...

Hah, maybe an event where we create a new set of replacement artifacts somehow, either directly or by assembling stuff?

When it comes to Worldbuilding, we probably do not want to go TEScrazy. Again, we want a low barrier for entry. Then again, something interesting and different is probably needed, but we still do not want it to be too confusing.

All I can really think of for events is related to games. I have a few in mind for the future.

Catman

This event is the kind of thing Aeiou would do (I wonder why...) but this is a homely place, not a silly place where the admin lets /someone/ make it so the website very, very slowly rotates 360 degrees.

The idea for this event was not mine, though I did think that it was a good idea at the time when it was proposed. Beyond that I actually had very little input in it as a whole, because as expected I had no real ideas to begin with. Literally all I have really orchestrated here was the punch ant game. Which like the rest of the event is kind of not going well, to be fair. I might not be the brightest bulb in the bush, but I am not stupid enough to try to turn Sunrise into Aeiou. Do not think that I would try something like that.

Like I mentioned earlier, the punch ant event has gone on way too long. It should have ended a week ago, but it has not due to a lack of activity. This was a miss-step on our part, and I am sorry about that.
Edited by Robert Joe, Yesterday, 10:03 AM.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member of the Golden Sun United Nations, helping fansites help each other since 2016
CLAN POINTS
Venus
33 Points
Mars
14 Points
Jupiter
12 Points
Mercury
0 Points
Last season winner is Venus

Affiliates

Golden Sunrise GSAR ToK Golden Sun Universe GSHC GSL Aeiou TLW GSUN