Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to Golden Sunrise. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Golden Sunrise is a Golden Sun fan forum. Along with Golden Sun discussion, Golden Sunrise members enjoy particularly debate, forum games, role-playing, and various forms of creativity from writing to visual art to music.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can post in the City Gates section. If you join our community, you'll be able to makes posts in the other sections and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Lost Age Softlock
Topic Started: Jan 28 2018, 10:39 AM (66 Views)
Violet Spinel
Member Avatar
Jupiter CEO

Man, been a while since I talked about Golden Sun, huh. Heh heh.

So, Lost Age has a pretty awful softlock in it. This post is both as a warning as well as just a nice little thread for people interested in these kinda of things.

So, in Lost Age, one of the Psynergy required to beat the game is Lash, which makes a little hand pop up to tie ropes for climbing. Neat trick!

So, you get Lass very early in the game in a temple a little south of the first town. This temple is kinda outta the way and easy to miss if you're distracted by other things. To make matters worse, the game goes a very long time with Lash being used to hide optional items like chests and Djinn. All the ropes laying around just scream "get the Psynergy later in the game and backtrack!"

Welp, if you're dumb like me, you might make it all the way to Gondowan Cliffs without ever acquiring Lash (which is not only possible but very easy if you assume that Lash is obtained later on). Now, in Gondowan Cliffs, you can navigate it entirely free of Lash by using the Scoop Psynergy to dig up a water spring that pushes you up, allowing for a simple platforming puzzle. Near the end of the cliffs are three little inclines for Felix to slide down, one of which will lead you to the edge of the cliffs and allow you to enter the continent of Gondowan. There's nothing prompting you which goes where thanks to the camera, meaning it's a leap of faith.

Now, assuming you slid down the right path, you'll make your way along the overworld until you see Kibombo. Just look at that city from the overworld map! It's massive, the biggest overworld sprite you've seen in the series thus far, so of course it's only natural that you'd save before going inside.

Congratulations. You may not know it, but you have officially soft locked the game. Here's why.

As you continue about the quest in Kibombo, you'll learn about Piers and the crazy statue and all that jazz. Eventually you have to infiltrate your way into the dungeon without these guards noticing, and the only way to accomplish that is by using the Lash Psynergy to climb across a rope outside their field of vision. You can't progress without doing this, but unfortunately the first required use of Lash doesn't even seem required! There must be a way around it, right?

Try as you might, there's no working around it. Defeated, the you'll probably assume you missed something (and you might have realized by now that you should be able to manipulate those ropes). Well, here's the thing: if you backtrack back to Gondowan Cliffs, you'll find the path back to the Indra (where Lash is obrtained) can be traversed by using Lash. As you may recall, you got here by sliding down a slope, meaning you can't return the same way you got here. Now that you don't have Lash, you can't progress the story, nor can you return to obtain it, and since you saved after sliding down that slope, your file is now softlocked!

Unfortunately, this happened to me on my first playthrough, and to a blind player who doesn't know the game very well, it's a very easy softlock to get trapped in, especially since it takes quite a while to even realize the game is soft lcoked, huh!

Well, I hope this was informative or interesting.
Posted Image Sunrise's Machinist Hero shall not back down! Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NOX
Member Avatar

This made me boot my game after so many month, so it's not bad.
(Yippee for Teleportation fun and Boat floating over the sand!)

And, I checked, but, you can actually make your way back!
Once you walk the rope in reverse, you can go behind a tree north,
and make your way back to the East, by taking the right path.
(Along the alternate path explaining how Piers got through.)

Violet Spinel
Member Avatar
Jupiter CEO

NOX
Jan 28 2018, 12:11 PM
This made me boot my game after so many month, so it's not bad.
(Yippee for Teleportation fun and Boat floating over the sand!)

And, I checked, but, you can actually make your way back!
Once you walk the rope in reverse, you can go behind a tree north,
and make your way back to the East, by taking the right path.
(Along the alternate path explaining how Piers got through.)
Hm? Which rope might you be referring to?
I'm quite curious about this one.
Posted ImagePosted Image

NOX
Member Avatar

I was talking about the long rope that link the cliffs of the two continents.

Edit : I entered the map from the west.
(If I remember well, the long rope between the two continents appears and stays there, once the kikombo attack Madra.)
Edited by NOX, Jan 28 2018, 12:36 PM.

Violet Spinel
Member Avatar
Jupiter CEO

NOX
Jan 28 2018, 12:31 PM
I was talking about the long rope that link the cliffs of the two continents.

Edit : I entered the map from the west.
(If I remember well, the long rope between the two continents appears and stays there, once the kikombo attack Madra.)
The rope does stay there, however you have to cast Lash first in order to access it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · The Sun Sagas (GBA games) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member of the Golden Sun United Nations, helping fansites help each other since 2016
CLAN POINTS
Venus
33 Points
Mars
14 Points
Jupiter
12 Points
Mercury
0 Points
Last season winner is Venus

Affiliates

Golden Sunrise GSAR ToK Golden Sun Universe GSHC GSL Aeiou TLW GSUN