Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to Golden Sunrise. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Golden Sunrise is a Golden Sun fan forum. Along with Golden Sun discussion, Golden Sunrise members enjoy particularly debate, forum games, role-playing, and various forms of creativity from writing to visual art to music.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can post in the City Gates section. If you join our community, you'll be able to makes posts in the other sections and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What do you like and dislike about your country?
Topic Started: Jan 27 2018, 10:41 PM (89 Views)
Neshi
Member Avatar
☀ LOVELY HERMIT☀

:?: What do you like and dislike about your country?

:SolStar: Is there anything you are proud of or anything you'd recommend?
:LunaStar: Or is there anything that annoys you so much or anything you'd change?

Posted Image

Feel free to share your opinion and experience!
My Sunrise Awards <3

Posted Image
Click for more info about Golden Sun Legends! Also click to see The Chronicles of Golden Sunrise!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Violet Spinel
Member Avatar
Jupiter CEO

Well, America is much more nationalistic than it is actually patriotic. I have no issue with people saying it's a great country, because it really is a great country, but I see so much xenophobia and a refusal to accept any practice that isn't "American" as equally valid.

Like, this is just one example, but we all know the subtle differences in dialect between the UK and US when it comes to spelling, such as with the word "colour". Now, I personally just prefer using the UK spellings of things for the most part, and it obviously doesn't bother me when someone else uses the US spellings, but sometimes I'll use that spelling and people will be legitimately angry because I'm spelling it "wrong" since we're in America and the American way is the right way.

Oh... and don't even get me started on units of measurement.

I understand that back in the day, becoming independent from Britain was a huge deal so it's at least justifiable (while still a little unnecessary) to try distancing ourselves by modifying the language and creating new units of measurement, but nowadays people are just so stubborn that anything that isn't innately American is shunned. Don't get me wrong, I understand why we would continue to use the US measurement system. My friend is a chemist and only works in Metric and it's confusing because I grew up on the US system so my brain isn't naturally set up for Metres, but it's the fact that some people legitimately get angry over these things that, ironically, makes me legitimately angry, huh.

And then there's cultural differences too and... well, I think you all get the picture. Long story short, America is a great country but it's also a narcissist.
Posted Image Sunrise's Machinist Hero shall not back down! Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Shadowfyst997
Member Avatar
The Dark Wolf General

We got nice healthcare in Canada.

Also, we're not America.

What else needs to be said?
Posted Image Posted Image <-- Courtesy of Safe Haven and Saucy Goblin respectively! :3 <3

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Delfes
Member Avatar
Regular Adept #18

Yeah, the US measurement system actually has its good side, unfortunately it gets annoying when you go in higher precision stuff, where it's just a pain to work with multipliers of 12, and the small edge it has over metric at lower precision really isn't worth the downside at higher precision.

As for the question itself, I like Canada. I honestly am not emotionally involved enough to feel strongly about it and might feel the same in many other countries had I been born there, but since the easiest comparison is the US thanks to proximity making them the only place I can find fairly good levels of news on, I can safely say I prefer Canada, making it my standard for "good".
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rule of existence: Whenever luck is involved, somehow, somewhere, someone will get trolled by it.

Artisan
Member Avatar

:SolStar: The U.S.A. holds the record for most hurricane landfalls and tornado touchdowns. Life wouldn't be the same without them.
:LunaStar: Shortcuts are taken to make a variety of food products faster despite the fact it can put the consumer's health in jeopardy. There is healthy food around but it can be hard to find depending on where a person lives and it's usually more expensive than the cheap stuff.
Edited by Artisan, Feb 1 2018, 11:46 PM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Senate · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member of the Golden Sun United Nations, helping fansites help each other since 2016
CLAN POINTS
Venus
33 Points
Mars
14 Points
Jupiter
12 Points
Mercury
0 Points
Last season winner is Venus

Affiliates

Golden Sunrise GSAR ToK Golden Sun Universe GSHC GSL Aeiou TLW GSUN