Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to Golden Sunrise. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Golden Sunrise is a Golden Sun fan forum. Along with Golden Sun discussion, Golden Sunrise members enjoy particularly debate, forum games, role-playing, and various forms of creativity from writing to visual art to music.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can post in the City Gates section. If you join our community, you'll be able to makes posts in the other sections and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RP Design Help and Interest Checks; Go here for help
Topic Started: Sep 15 2016, 01:24 PM (1,205 Views)
Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

This is a thread for (forumside) roleplays that you want help in any of the following categories:
-getting from a concept or incomplete plan to playable and/or fully detailed,
-getting confirmation in text about who wants in and who won't be available but might be later on in case doing so on the Discord is inconvenient,
-checking 'hey does this idea come across properly',
before you post the actual thread to avoid undefined waiting time finishing up the plot/not enough players yet/confusion.

Feel free to just post what you want help with and let the forums provide some assistance.
Signature
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

And now for the second real reason I posted this thread, apologies for the double post but it's not about the same content anyway.

Pitch

Not sure whether I want this to be sealed tightly with mechanics or give players more escape capability as a freeform RP with lots of description, but now that what the thing is has mostly been established the real question is who wants in. Might expand it more if people wanna know about it.
Edited by Nedben, Oct 8 2016, 01:58 AM.
Signature

Shadowfyst997
Member Avatar
The Dark Wolf General

This sounds interesting, and i'll definitly join. How based in stats will this be? Will it be purely free flow do w/e you want without thought to stats and specific spells, or will it be more structured, with stats and spells.
Edited by Shadowfyst997, Sep 22 2016, 07:40 PM.
Posted Image Posted Image <-- Courtesy of Safe Haven and Saucy Goblin respectively! :3 <3

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

I just said I was unsure. o_o I'm leaning freeform because that will definitely be more creative and stats are effort, but I'll probably want adept profiles to start with, and a general description of what utility psynergies they expressly do and do not have the ability to use under normal conditions or with a few minutes to figure something out to have some idea of what specific traps to throw them into and what they explicitly just cannot BS their way out of. Plus, leaving it unstatted allows it to mind-bendingly turn statted at a later point via shenanigans!
Signature

Shadowfyst997
Member Avatar
The Dark Wolf General

Works for me, you can count me in! XD
Posted Image Posted Image <-- Courtesy of Safe Haven and Saucy Goblin respectively! :3 <3

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

Resurrecting with two more concepts in case either of them has more traction, though Wise One Ruins Everything is still open for when people would like to join and would be more on-topic considering what this forum is.

The first is basically a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure RP that basically says 'okay, you all do what you want, let's see what happens' and I have a 49+ kb text file consisting of possible scenarios and characters to insert randomly and react with and plot that's spoileriffic to explain in too much detail but basically the three majorest preplanned plots are 'a Mia expy tries to take over the world and fulfill a revenge whim and become the ultimate being like a twisted fusion between Kars, Dio, and Mia', 'a way to access a mythical and powerful wish-granting entity from the past has appeared, so people are competing to find and get wishes from said entity' and 'Fate is playing the long con to destroy you all through family curses and a special apocalypse cult'. The initial character design phase might take a while if we decide to replicate the traditional Jojo-y fating antics and figure out how the plot shoots first against families, but I have an idea to work around that involving multi-charactering of a sort and/or 4thwallbreaking or simply not fleshing out families and/or motives in detail to allow for convenient replacements. Since Stands are so heavily combat-centric we'll have to figure out the combat system, but I have an idea based on 'parameter checks' where people RP up some actionsystuff and roll a d20 (or, well, I'll do the rolling to prevent cheating maybe), then make a check based on relevant aspects of listed statsy stuff based on stand parameters and/or some made up tactics based on 'but what about listed and unlisted qualities [things]' and an explanation, against the enemy's relevant aspects plus a d20 (or maybe some other dice depending on situations as they come) roll and whoever's better wins the action, and each side gets only a probably unclear number or informal range of things they can lose before they're considered to have lost/died/whatever.

The other is literally 'Shellcores show up on Weyard one day after a series of unexplained earthquakes' and then we play out the reactions from there. It might be better for characterizations if you don't know what they are in detail since the defunct SCC forums' various wildly different subcanons are mixed and matched and modified and the Weyard-dwellers you will most likely be playing as don't know what those are either, but suffice to say they are glowing spaceship-like creatures who in the version we're using can communicate to non-shellcores via audio transmitters created for an ancient reason involving SCC's very...abnormal fanuniverse development. The main character-level 'quest' will focus on trying to figure out what happened on both ends by investigating ancient mysterious structures.
Edited by Nedben, Oct 9 2016, 12:15 AM.
Signature

Catman
Member Avatar
Loneliest Stardust Crusader
Nedben
Oct 9 2016, 12:15 AM
a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure RP that basically says 'okay, you all do what you want, let's see what happens' and I have a 49+ kb text file consisting of possible scenarios and characters to insert randomly and react with and plot that's spoileriffic to explain in too much detail but basically the three majorest preplanned plots are 'a Mia expy tries to take over the world and fulfill a revenge whim and become the ultimate being like a twisted fusion between Kars, Dio, and Mia', 'a way to access a mythical and powerful wish-granting entity from the past has appeared, so people are competing to find and get wishes from said entity' and 'Fate is playing the long con to destroy you all through family curses and a special apocalypse cult'. The initial character design phase might take a while if we decide to replicate the traditional Jojo-y fating antics and figure out how the plot shoots first against families, but I have an idea to work around that involving multi-charactering of a sort and/or 4thwallbreaking or simply not fleshing out families and/or motives in detail to allow for convenient replacements. Since Stands are so heavily combat-centric we'll have to figure out the combat system, but I have an idea based on 'parameter checks' where people RP up some actionsystuff and roll a d20 (or, well, I'll do the rolling to prevent cheating maybe), then make a check based on relevant aspects of listed statsy stuff based on stand parameters and/or some made up tactics based on 'but what about listed and unlisted qualities [things]' and an explanation, against the enemy's relevant aspects plus a d20 (or maybe some other dice depending on situations as they come) roll and whoever's better wins the action, and each side gets only a probably unclear number or informal range of things they can lose before they're considered to have lost/died/whatever.
I'm up for this even if I'm the only person roleplaying in it
WHY ARE WE STILL HERE...Posted Image...JUST TO SUFFER?!

Violet Spinel
Member Avatar
Jupiter CEO

Whatever happened to "Calling all the heroes", huh?

Posted Image Sunrise's Machinist Hero shall not back down! Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Catman
Member Avatar
Loneliest Stardust Crusader
Only you and KoP showed up to register a character
WHY ARE WE STILL HERE...Posted Image...JUST TO SUFFER?!

Flamy
Member Avatar
Token Bad Teammate

Nedben
Sep 22 2016, 03:13 AM
Of course, it's a horror or at least a 'directly bashing the boss enemy in combat that is very deadly is not going to work due to difference in power level so you've got to be strategic about running and trickery' game, but not one without chance of victory. Because most of the player characters are Adepts with a reasonable degree of genre savviness, it will be mostly possible to avoid getting killed, probably through strategic use of psynergy. :P
"We run away, Smokey!"

But no, I would totally Battle Tendency this one out.

As for the actual JJBA-based thing, we could always do Part 1/2-related things instead 「Promised Land」! Sounds like a fun concept, though, same with the Golden Sun one. (The very first, not the Shellcore idea.)
Go now, exceed fate. Grasp for your desires!

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

New prompt: A sort of nebulous arena RP setting that explores what these weird fighting game crossovers are like for the people who are in them, probably taking a disturbing amount of their observation-level and design-commentary-level from Umineko, that's basically an excuse for more well-written and less godmodding-or-godlike random chaos freeform RP battle, with several different types of matches to accommodate for different battle judgement systems.

Thoughts?
Signature

Delfes
Member Avatar
Regular Adept #18

I'd find that interesting under certain conditions. The thing with crossover fighting games is that no matter how overpowered to all hell a character really is, in that game it will be on a somewhat balanced scale compared to the others. If the fights have the characters brought to similar levels, it would be great.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rule of existence: Whenever luck is involved, somehow, somewhere, someone will get trolled by it.

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

That'd be the gist of it, yes. Sufficiently imbalanced matches either wouldn't be made or would be made under really heavy/silly abstractions, which there'd probably be some degree of focus on the actual 'how does this all weird stuff feel to the people involved' between/during massive crazy fights.

A lot of the different match types would honestly be 'what system judges determine physicsset and interference, winning individual attack-vs-defense/evasion, how noticeable the level of abstraction is to the people/pieces involved, and scoring' so that the same basic fight premise of someone fighting someone somewhere else can go several different ways depending on what weird rules get imposed.
Signature

Delfes
Member Avatar
Regular Adept #18

You know, when I hear "weird fighting rules", the first things that comes to my mind is final fantasy tactics advanced. And honestly, seeing that put into an RP fight with people who mess around would be glorious.

"What do you mean, [Nodmg2: human]? We're both humans, how are we supposed to do anything!?"

>Punches the judge.
>Judge casts Whistle.
>Greater godly power forces character on its knees.
>Judge gives warning for aggressive action against official.
>Character gets back up.
>Is instantly forced back on its knees by greater godly force.
>Judge gives second warning for aggressive action against human, because the judge just happened to be a human.

All the shenanigans you could pull with that kind of setting! It would be hilarious.
Edited by Delfes, Dec 13 2016, 02:59 AM.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rule of existence: Whenever luck is involved, somehow, somewhere, someone will get trolled by it.

Nedben
Member Avatar
Orzic Nedbens

Yup.

Also new concept to propose: In the wake of a series of apocalypses that shatter a number of multiversal empires, an instance of Weyard realizes how to travel across it and begins an ugly adventure inspired by a certain awful story.
New roleplay for the new year: A Golden Sun version of the Holy Grail War.

The one with wizards summoning mythic figures of history as battle familiars. Of course, since this is a Nedben RP, several options will be in play to make it more interesting, and because the people with time and interest in this kind of roleplay are few, I'm gonna have to be flexible in implementation.

No experience (or as always, any idea what I'm saying or what's going on) required. To be honest, having no idea what it is might even put you at an advantage with how much I'm twisting actual mechanics due to how they'd be implemented and fundamental differences in idea. Thoughts on actually making this happen?
Edited by Nedben, Feb 13 2017, 03:52 AM.
Signature

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplays · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Member of the Golden Sun United Nations, helping fansites help each other since 2016
CLAN POINTS
Venus
33 Points
Mars
14 Points
Jupiter
12 Points
Mercury
0 Points
Last season winner is Venus

Affiliates

Golden Sunrise GSAR ToK Golden Sun Universe GSHC GSL Aeiou TLW GSUN